Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My mother has changed and she's annoying me?

My parents are in their late 60's and moved into a senior's building about 3 years ago. My mom used to have a very active social life but I have noticed lately that all they do is socialize with the people in their building, and get involved in all the petty politics, etc. I also notice that my mom has gotten extremely bossy over the past few years. She bosses everyone around, including my dad and my hubby (who just tries to ignore it). She also tries to correct my parenting, even though my kids are pretty good. I think she figures she's being helpful, but she's also proud of the fact that she's outspoken. On the other hand, she's super sensitive and if she calls and I'm busy, she starts asking me what's wrong and apolgizes for bugging me. I don't know if she's lonely or going through something, but the way she is lately is getting on my nerves. She calls every day and if she can't reach me on my home phone, she calls my cell, calls me at work, etc. I have my own stress to deal with and while I love my parents, the way my mom is lately is starting to drive me nuts. I know if I tell her, even politely, to back off a bit with the clinginess and unsolicited advice, she'll take it to heart and get upset. I am the youngest and the only daughter, so maybe that's why she's like this. But I find the older she gets, the more she clings to me. Luckily, my husband and I are generally pretty easy going, so we usually don't act offended even if someone crosses the line. I just don't know what to do and I don't want to hurt her.

No comments:

Post a Comment